Sunday, December 27, 2009

Lesotho

Hey everyone.

So yes, Chaz and I endured the blistering marshes of Botswana, and made our way into the dreaded Misty Mountains of Lesotho - The Mountain Kingdom.

But all in all, a beautiful country. Chaz and I have been getting around pretty well, going back and forth between hitchhiking and taking combis (minibuses.) Truly a land without fences, this is what I imagined Nepal to be like: untamable mountains, quaint hillside villages, and simple mountain herders.

Started off by going to Semonkong - home of the Maletsunyane Falls.
Which of course being in the nature of the universe, contains the world's highest (Guiness World Record holder,) of the largest absail in the world, at over 200meters! Basically, imagine repelling off of Victoria Falls.

Needless to say.....

Here's me practicing:And then getting lowered into position. A friend that we spent a lot of time with, Andre, decided to abseil with me. He went first, and got some GREAT photos of me scaling the waterfalls, but unfortunately he hasn't emailed them to me yet. Keep in mind, this valley you see is about 230 meters deep. After this, we trekked through the mountains of northern Lesotho, including the larger city of Butha-Buthe (durka durka durka!) And we made our way to Sani Pass, home of Sani Top Chalet - containing Africa's highest Pub, on Christmas Eve.


After this, we HIKED down the mountain, about 8k. Took two hours. My calves still hate me. And then we entered South Africa!

And yesterday we reached Durban. And now, we'll be on our way to St. Lucia very soon, followed by Maputo, Mozambique.

So, to finalize in fun:
Fried and cooked Chicken Feet? Delicious...mostly.


And if you've ever wondered what Santa does the day after Xmas? Here's your answer. He stops his sleigh by Sani Top, Africa's tallest Pub, and gets wicked pissed. Hey, the man's worked all night - he at least needs a drink!!! photo taken the morning of the 26th.

Until next time.

n

5 comments:

Karen said...

Great pictures hun, I love your updates! I hope you enjoyed the chicken feet...my old roomie from Liberia used to cook with them a lot, and I could always ask her for some recipes so I have something nice to cook for you when you get home. Haha. Stay safe. <3

Kristen! said...

Thumbs up. I still say try hiding your valuables in those bones.

cromwell_the_3rd said...

Amazing photos and a great summary of whats been going on. Lots of fun reading about it and im glad to hear you discovered the mystery of what santa does on dec 26th.

Unknown said...

I would just like you to know that your blog has officially made it to my bookmark bar. you rock, Nick! Can't wait for your next update!
luv ya,
melissa

Michelle said...

Wow! Some really nice pics :0)
But I could not eat chicken feet-eeeewwwww :0(
You can definitely have my portion