Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Botswananana!

Hey everyone.

So yes, I am still alive. For the moment. It took two days to hitchhike with chaz all the way to Maun, Botswana, but we did it. On the verge of the Okavango Delta, its truly a sight to behold. But pictures are worth a thousand words, arent they? So heres a couple thousand words. So everyone knows, I'm currently housed up with another Peace Corps volunteer in Botswana (Gaborone) We're stealing some wireless from a neighbor, so thats how this is all possible.

This is me, in the Okavango Delta. We camped IN the delta for two days. Didn't really see much wildlife, but the view was a blessing all the same. Hippee!!!
Here is Chaz and I in our Mokoro, which is the local term for a dug out canoe. Im the one with the stick, I was Actually (read: REALLY) taught how to drive/steer these things. and let me tell you - its MUCH harder than you think. No wonder all the boatsmen look like they can benchpress a VW. We're filtering our own water in this photo, since that water has things in it that nightmares are made out of. No one tell my mother we went swimming in it. Note to self: Check for Bilharzia.

Sunset in the Delta from our Boat. Wideangle shot. No other words.

And for added pleasure, I'll give you all one last picture of me on my boat! Ahoy mateys! Theres sure to be plenty of plunder this-arr way! Somalia, here i Come!!!

In the next 12 hours, I will leave Botswana, and head for Lesotho via Kimberely, SA. After that, its Durban, heading up into coast into Swaziland. If alls well, I should be hitting Mozambique by xmas.

Cheers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

who's holding the camera, if you're in most of the shots?

be safe (as much control that you may have over your circumstances)! come back to the states in one (perhaps drunk) piece!

-Emily

Kristen! said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW