Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Guardian

So a couple things: first and foremost, a high fever in a foreign country is insane. I've been sick for the past three days, with a fever over a 100, reaching a peak of 104. but in the 100 degree heat, it actually feels normal. and I was very sleepy. But I'm just about all better now, it was probably something I ate, like that Goat's head four days ago....

Just for your entertainments sake, We've got a small post here about something i may or may not have already discussed. I've received an African name. Some people in my community felt it was important that since I'm "now African" (in their eyes,) its only fitting that I have an African name. Not everyone calls me by it, but it's still nice to have.

Totorop.

I'm actually not sure how you spell it. It's a Damara (khoikhoigowab) name, and i think its pronounced /otorope, with a click. For you non clickers, its sounds like (Toto-rope.) Its an everyday damara word, literally meaning 'Big Brother.' In the figurative sense, and in the sense i think they meant it, it means "My Guardian" or "My Protector." So evidently I've a difference to several people, and thats enough for me.

I'm feeling better.

2 comments:

Kristen! said...

That is really cool, Nick. Not about the fever....that kind of blows.

I sent you all the snow in my parking lot. I hope it'll last you!

cromwell_the_3rd said...

YOU ATE... GOAT HEAD?!?! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?