Saturday, February 9, 2008

So I’ve been thinking recently (as I’ve been known to do occasionally…) about what my purpose is. This actually wasn’t the product of an idle mind, but poised by a remarkable student here, way beyond her peers. I responded with what we basically learned during college, “Maybe you’ll never find your purpose – lots of people don’t. ” (Thank you Avenue Q…) That at 16, she’ll have plenty of time to figure it out. But I couldn’t help myself…

So what would my purpose be? Curing AIDS seems more than impossible. Even aiding the blatant sexism and racism here is beyond daunting. Becoming a father and husband? Believable – but can that be labeled as a purpose? Kinda hard to make gross extrapolations of the culminations of one’s life at 22 (regardless being stuck in the middle of a desert) – but I think I have an idea.

I think the purpose of my life is to lose every game of “Never have I ever.” To my more responsible and or innocent readers, I’ll explain: Never have I ever is a drinking game. Its played thusly: everyone is given the same number, usually 3 or 5. One person states something they’ve never done, perhaps Bunjee Jumping. Then all of those who have actually done said action, in this case Bungee jumping, must lose one number. Down to four. First one to zero loses. Or in my case – wins.

After all, why not? I got all my senses – I should indulge them. After all, prof Gimbel always points out that the real point of life is to collect good stories. Generally, I think I’ve collected some good ones so far….

For the most part, they were each events, some taking no more time than a week. Most a few minutes – but who cares? Just to say that I’ve done them make me feel proud that I’ve made the uphill climbs – and gives me hope for everything to come. Mark my words – if they let me bungee jump naked over Victoria Falls, I’ll do it. (We’ve heard rumors.) Because c’mon – how many people have you ever known to bunjee jump naked, let alone above the “clouds that rumble?” I mean sure, perhaps I should aim a little higher regarding m purpose – but for now… eh – what the hell. At least I’m fulfilling mine.

You gotta go after the things you want while you’re still in your prime.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd pay to see that--I've seen Victoria Falls

but.. you'll have to wear shorts

cromwell_the_3rd said...

I know that you will collect a lot of awesome stories in namboobie. I hope you know I want to hear all of them the next time I see you. I think you are the best story teller I know.

Oh i got to play with liquid nitrogen in the lab a few days ago. It was fun although a little scary when the guy filling up the cup did so as if he was a bar tender doing tricks...

cromwell_the_3rd said...

its ok though cause he has his phd