Friday, January 4, 2008

I'm sorry guys, for the incredible long delays I've been giving...

Once again, I'm back in Okahandja. That is, until the 9th of January. I'm currently here finally finishing up my training, so hopefully I'll see it through.

Since I don't have time, time, or time to write here, I'll just hit the highlights thus far that I promise to discuss at a later date:

- I bought a guitar.
- My hair has now grown longer than it ever has.
- I successfully taught a classroom of 80 people ( I was asked to give a workshop on the HIV science stuff to all the other volunteers.
- I move to my permanant site in a week
- I aced my language test (first one.)
- In a private conference meant to discuss our strengths/weaknesses, my facilitator said I was among those with the most potential, and that she would take great interests in my accomplishments in the months to come.

On a different note, its hot as hell here. damn.

Thank you to all those that are mailing me letters - they keep my days and nights well enjoyed, I spend hours re-reaading them.

When I get to Usakos, I'll see what I can about getting a permanent landline installed.

<3

8 comments:

Unknown said...

NICKYYYY!

I've finally got some time to finish your letter! But I'm glad to see you're alive =)

I miss you! But I'm happy that you aced your language test (of course you did!).

I won't say much more here because you've got one long-ass letter to read coming to you soon!

Karen said...

Nick!!!

Hmmm, aced your language test you say? I expect some clicking noises the next time I talk to you on the phone. :-) And curious minds want to know, is there a way to say "YOUR MOM" in the clicking language? I'm sure it won't have the same ring, but apparently I need to learn how to say it in as many languages as possible.

That's awesome you got a guitar. Now you can rock out with Andy the next time you see him. Haha. That's a hilarious mental image just thinking about it. Partially because in my mind Andy would be wearing women's pants like Sophomore year.

I'm not surprised you get such praise from your facilitator... you are kind of amazing... poop jokes and all.

Let me know when you get your new Usakos mailing address, I may have a letter or two or twenty to send to you. haha.

Good luck finishing up training babe!

Miss you!!!!

<3 Karen

Unknown said...

Nick---For... the... love... of... God.... Find someone to cut your hair......I can only imagine
Mom

Sue said...

Love the visual image of the hair, don't know which is more amusing, that or Linda's reaction! Just realized you haven't seen Steven recently either. He only gets a haircut in May, August and December to trim and shape. His grew in thick and straight, looks good actually. You MUST take a picture before you finally get it cut!!! Love the blog!

Kristen! said...

I mailed my short letter this morning! But alas, if you change addresses, it might take a bit longer to get to you than I predicted....

You must have one helluva fro. Your hair doesnt grow down, it grows out.

Shwing-schwong!

thedupreys5 said...

Hi Nick!!!!!!!

Love the blog! It is great to see your having fun. I can only imagine what you are experiencing over there. I have shared it with the kids and Memere and they loved it as well. Especially the Thanksgiving dinner...yummm.

You will have to give us your address once you get to new location. We have a care package to send to you.

Alex wants to know if you have gained any weight with what you have to eat? What is you favorite thing to eat?

Memere sends her love and is glad to see your doing okay. We all miss you and are looking forward to your next post.

Love ya,
Aunt Julie

cromwell_the_3rd said...

My hair is growing pretty long too. It's like down to my nose in front. You should totally get an afro. Andy is going for an afro now too! its like sophmore year only he has a few months to go still. Oh yeah and im curious too about your favorite foods over there. Like what do you like eating the most and what do you find yourself eating as a staple food?

Unknown said...

You can do all those things because you are so awesome. ::HUG::
-Val